Saturday, August 26, 2017

Cronus Max vs. XIM 4--XIM 4 IS THE BEST PRODUCT FOR CROSS CONTROLLER GAMING!!!!!

Note: I corrected past articles to reflect getting the XIM4 instead of the CronusMax.

I became rather tired of the CronusMax disconnecting, sometimes rather frequently, when you
CronusMax--NOT Recommended
first plug it in, though after awhile (maybe about an hour or so), it remains connected, only randomly disconnecting. I forgot to also mention, there are times when the character would just walk/run straight without any input, which has also been a complaint on the CronusMax forums. 


So I decided to find alternatives that day. TitanOne is the other competing product that I've already heard about, founded by the original creator of CronusMax, and there's a lot of controversy between the two companies as to who wronged who.

The point, however, is that I kept tolerating the CronusMax because the DS4 controller is so awful to my hands, that I heartily recommended this product. It was worth it to me because the DS4 caused pain. So both the CronusMax and TitanOne probably work similarly, so TitanOne wasn't an option.

The other issue with CronusMax is that it allegedly has full DS4 touchpad functionality, including left and right touch pad presses, as well as its touch-pad function, but I was never able to program the touch-pad, though I was able to program left and right touch pad presses.  Again, that didn't bother me, since no PS4 games that I own use the touch-pad, except for a minor game-play element in Infamous: Second Son.  It's no wonder that I never finished the game, despite being a very fun game, since you must use the DS4 touch-pad when you do graffiti (if I recall correctly).

With the CronusMax, you can only use the XBox One controller, and you can't use the touch-pad of the DS4 for the times that you need to, but that's very rare, and again, I only saw it used in Infamous.

I knew about the XIM 4 product before, but always thought it was just for mouse and keyboard, because even the website itself advertises this as its main feature, ambiguously stating that it does "more", which I didn't notice when I was researching cross-controller products back then. It makes no sense that the company doesn't advertise cross-controller support directly on the website, as I'm sure there's a lot of gamers who want to use their preferred controller on any console. However, this time around, I was curious as to what they meant about "more".

So, disgusted with the CronusMax yesterday (shortly after I wrote the XBox One Elite Controller post), I googled "XIM 4 XBox One Controller for PS4" and to my delight, it has that feature, and you can use any last-gen and current-gen controllers with any last-gen and current-gen console except for the Wii U console (same goes for the CronusMax).

The Fantastic XIM 4
I wanted to buy the product from XIM 4 directly, but it was sold out--and it's no wonder since this product is fantastic.  I bought it instead, from a third-party seller of Amazon (Amazon Prime), in case XIM 4 isn't the product that I hoped for, I can return it hassle-free. Plus, it had next day free shipping!

After coming home from work today, I set it up. It took an hour, because the "Quick Start" guide didn't mention a crucial step, and that is you must configure before you plug and play, but the guide made it seem like this was just "plug and play".

My heart sank when it didn't work, but after doing quick research, I updated firmware, downloaded the newest manager, and it took just ONE button press (top listing) for Cross-Controller to come up and so easy to map the buttons (in fact, it maps automatically for you). I will do a more in-depth instruction of this later, but I wanted to get this product review up, since I'm so excited about it.

If you even go through the CronusMax forums, you will see that it's a rather complicated affair programming cross-controllers, but with the XIM 4, it was a breeze.

Further, what is absolutely brilliant about the XIM 4 is that you can USE THE DS4 at the same time, so you just use DS4 touchpad when needed, and it's share button. If for some odd reason you want to use the DS4 completely, you can just use DS4, but why use DS4 when you have your XBox One controller connected?  But the point is, you can have BOTH in use at the same time. In other words, using the XIM 4, you have full touchpad/share support.

The most important feature, though, is there's NO disconnection whatsoever. It plays flawlessly with NO lag, since it's wired. Therefore, the CronusMax administrator's frequent claims that the problems are with the micro-usb connection, or the CronusMax not being plugged directly to the console, are absolutely wrong. I'm using the EXACT same micro-usb connections and they work flawlessly on the XIM 4, but NOT on the CronusMax, so clearly, the problem is with the CronuxMax itself.

Even though XIM 4 costs a little less than twice the price of the CronusMax, at 124.99 plus shipping (directly from XIM 4 store) versus $69.99, I recommend only the XIM 4. 

Conclusion: XIM 4 is the best product for cross controller gaming!  Buy here.

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...