Thursday, November 26, 2020

Should You Get A PS5 or an XBox Series X? An Unbiased Guide.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was able to place an order for the Playstation 5 (to be delivered Dec 3), which got me to thinking, once supplies are replenished, what system should you get? I enjoyed my Playstation 4 more than my Xbox One, but I'll try to be as unbiased as possible.

In this post, I aim to break down the decision from the most important factor to the least. 

Question 1: Are your friends on Xbox or Playstation? Technical details don't matter, it's your friends that count. If most of your friends are on one platform, that is the console you should get. End here.

Question 2: What games do you like? If you're interested in playing ALL generation of games and you like FPS (First Person Shooters), and Bethesda games (Microsoft now owns Bethesda) then Xbox Series X is the clear winner. Its ability to play ALL released XBox games is impressive.

Further, XBox has a much more impressive GamePass online subscription service that lets you play all of their newly released titles Day 1.

If you prefer the PS4 and PS5 exclusives, and more niche JRPGs (sadly they tend to be exclusive to either Playstation or Nintendo), then PS5 is for you. 

Question 3If you're into the best performing console, it's too early in the generation cycle to tell. The good news is that both are about equal. Despite Xbox having more "power", some games actually ran better on PS5, others on XBox (ray tracing), depending on the settings you use. Therefore, you don't have to worry about choosing based on performance.

Question 4: Controllers aren't an issue, unless you REALLY need the haptic feedback of the PS5 controllers, then clearly PS5 is the better choice.

However, the Xbox controllers are way more ergo-dynamic, based on 10 million dollar investment in research, which showed. When you're a rabid gamer like me, you need the most comfortable controller.

The good news is that if you still want to stick with the PS5, there are cross controller support, such as Xim and Iogear Keymander 2, but only for the PS4 games using PS4 controller, both are working on PS5 games. I ended up getting a Keymander 2 as my Xim 4 died, and I misplaced the newest Xim Apex and they sold out.

Indeed, even with haptic feedback that allows for more immersion, I'm still going to use the XBox Elite Controller, comfort and those amazing paddles win over haptic feedback for me.

I hope this helps with your decision! Which console will you be getting, or will you get both?

I'm still working on the Moving With Ease and Without Pain, Part 2. Sorry for being away so long!

Review of The How of Happiness

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Alice, i will be sticking with Playstation as I like the exclusives better (Demon's Souls, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted etc) I also prefer the controller, I couldn't get on with the L3 anologue stick with Xbox. Each to their own tho, and just want everyone to be happy gamers and enjoy the new gen of consoles. Take care and be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilly_ so good to see you, sorry haven't been looking at blog. I was surprised when I heard that people genuinely like the PS5 controllers and hate the Xbox Elite!

    I'm the same, I like the PS5 exclusives better, and they tend to have the niche JRPGs. But Xbox will have a lot of great games since they will have Hellblade 2, and all the Bethesda games (though I don't care for them, they are so popular).

    I hope you can get the PS5 soon, and we can play online together, as well as cheese strat to get the old monk head wrappings!

    In the meantime, Happy holidays and Happy gaming!

    ReplyDelete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...