Monday, April 2, 2018

Fortnite--Improved Gameplay! (Monday Musings 38)

Once I reached Twine and completed a couple of missions, I was burned out especially as the missions prior to reaching Twine in Canny Valley, there's no story. To advance through Canny Valley, each mission is to do 3 quests, usually Retrieve the Data, Deliver the Bomb, or Category 2 Storm. However, I was spurred on despite having no story and repetitive quests, as reaching Twine is a huge goal.

Even when Epic Games introduced the hover board, which makes getting around the map so fun, as opposed to sprinting which takes up stamina, I still was burned out.

The newest patch, however, changed things. It's amazing how such small changes really made the game exciting.

The burnout of Twine is that as a Ninja, we are viable up through level 100 (there are quite a few Youtube videos as proof), but you need to put down a lot of traps in strategic places. The problem is that the backpack space is very limited, and it's considered over the top when I had 80 traps of each type, as that takes up 4 backpack slots.

Because you may not be able to level up all of your weapons and traps at the same time, you're going to be using different quality materials, again taking up a lot of slots.

However, one of the most welcome change is that now, each slot can hold up to 200 items, including traps! After consolidating, my backpack space went from 185/185 to around 90/185! My storm shield storage is now actually able to store things, as it was on overflow (from Epic Games returning materials when people lost all their backpack items).

In other words, I don't have to worry about dropping unnecessary materials all the time, and I can farm to make even more traps while listening to music, so it's easy to then go from mission to mission, as opposed to having to farm after every single mission.

The other refreshing change is stamina management, especially for the Ninja class. Sprinting no longer takes up stamina, so it's incredibly nice to be able to run up to a group of husks and dragon slash immediately. Prior, after sprinting to the husks, you may have to shoot them as you wait for your stamina bar to fill up enough so that you can perform a dragon slash. 

The double jump (mantis leap) used to cost 1/2 of the stamina bar, to the point where it wasn't worth it for me to do so, and I'd build stairs instead, because by the time I reach the husks, my energy would be depleted if I double jumped. However, it's now only 20/100! Therefore, as a Ninja, I now feel nimble enough to double jump my way through!

The most significant change for me that really prevents burnout is that in the past, if you want to take it easy and play easier missions, you can do so, but you do NOT get any commander experience points. These points are needed to buy special perks and abilities. Therefore, if I want to get these abilities, I must do missions in Twine.

However, now, you can do any mission and get Commander experience points. Of course, if you do missions in Stonewood (the first area) as a high level hero, you're going to get less experience points. However, it only took 4 or so relaxing Stonewood missions for me to level up once! I think because of that, they may have increased Commander experience points across the board, because in the past, it took quite a few Twine missions for me to level up once.

Of course, I would like to get to level 100, which means going through Twine missions, but if I want to take a break and do the daily quests, I can do them in Stonewood and get Commander experience points at the same time!

In video games, you want to make progress, so every time I think of playing Fortnite, the thought of doing only Twine missions as the only way to advance eventually led to burnout, as they are quite involved with farming and building. Thanks to this new change, I can do whatever mission I want and still be able to make considerable progress!

Just these three small changes really make Fortnite so much more fun. It was already an addicting game, but once you burn out on the game, it's hard to get back into the game due to the restrictions placed on storage, stamina and progression issues. 

I feel that I can finally get over the burnout and reach level 100, thanks to these huge improvements!

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...