Tuesday, April 17, 2018

XBox One Controller, Fortnite, MH:W Hunting Horn (Monday Musings 39)

XBox One Elite Controller Broke Again!
I still highly recommend this controller but again, you must get Best Buy's 2-year warranty. I had to return it on April 13th as the micro-usb port wasn't connecting, which happens quite often with this type of port. It's unfortunate that controllers have moved away from the incredibly sturdy mini-usb to the flimsy micro-usb. 

A little before the port problems, the rubber backing of the handles actually peeled off. I didn't think to return it since it was wear and tear (though it was uncomfortable having the rubber stick out like that), but reading Best Buy's warranty, it covers wear and tear from regular use.

Lastly, the left bumper has started to stick, so I think if it weren't for the micro-usb breaking, it would've been the left bumper falling apart in a month's time.

When I returned it, there were no Elite controllers physically available, and the cashier even said she got so many of these returned in the past 2 weeks that this might be the reason for unavailability not only at my local Best Buy, but other Best Buys in the area as well. So a new controller was shipped and received in a rather fast 2 business days.

Another reason to buy the controller and warranty at Best Buy is the warranty keeps getting extended. To my surprise when I looked at the receipt, the warranty was extended to April 12, 2020, despite buying the controller back in August 10, 2017. Technically the warranty should only last through August 9, 2019, so 8 months was added!

The controller is so comfortable and ergonomically near perfect, it's no wonder Microsoft spent millions of dollars designing it, but you'd think that Microsoft would use quality parts. Searching Youtube, the reason why the LB and/or the RB buttons break is that they use plastic instead of metal parts for springs, so after repeating pressing on these flimsy springs, they would break. Reading through the comments on Amazon, customers also complained about the rubber backing peeling off and micro-usb disconnecting.

Despite all of this, I can safely recommend this controller because of Best Buy's warranty if and only if you game frequently. I think $150 is worth two years of use (I have a feeling that your last replaced controller will break shortly after the warranty) because preventing physical pain is worth the money.

Fortnite: I'm Back in Full Swing!
When I found out that the Spring Event was ending and I had only 2 days to finish the missions,
Level 40 StS Snowman Banner
I was very fortunate that my friend pushed me through the finish line. I was still burned out during this time, but the new Survive the Storm (StS) event really pulled me back in. I missed their very first one, and surviving 7 days (or was it the ridiculous 14 days) netted you special banners.


During the second offering of StS for the holiday/winter event, I was able to get the banner for the level 70, 7-day mission. We were fortunate to be rewarded the banner for doing only 3-days due to a bug. Ironically, the level 40 snowman banner was actually cuter than the level 70 skull banner. It was a mark of pride to wear the level 70 banner so I was using it, but then went back to the adorable level 40 snowman one instead.

In other words, I look forward to the challenge of completing a legitimate level 70, full 7-days. The advantage now is that Epic Games made great changes to resource management, so we can carry 5000 of each building material, whereas before we could only carry 999 each. Each backpack slot can hold up to 200 traps and other items, whereas before, you can only carry 20 traps per backpack space, and 99 of other items. By overbuilding, the level 70 StS may not be too bad, even if it's 7 days.


Since I was farming and doing low level missions in preparation for the level 70 StS, I began to enjoy Fortnite, and I'm now really into the game. What helped prevent burn-out is the upcoming StS challenges, and that we can now gain commander experience at any mission level, whereas before, you only get credit if you do missions around your level. In Twine, the very last area, it can be taxing. So it's refreshing to progress and see your stats move up, even when doing mundane farming. I think seeing lack of progression, having the same stale stats, and no new challenges contributed to the burn-out.

Monster Hunter: Hunting Horn
Like the Charge Blade, I never understood the Hunting Horn (HH), so I want to finally be able to use the HH with competency, like I finally did with the Charge Blade. During my leveling up to Hunter Rank 100 (HR100) which unlocks the very last mission, I thought I won't beat this quest because of this one monster. Because of Fashion Souls, I refused to wear its rather unattractive armor that will negate its main power and trivialize the monster, so I had to "git gud". 

Still having problems beating the dreaded monster, while advancing up the ranks, I discovered that one particular Hunting Horn can negate the problems, and I was excited because I can use this weapon instead of caving in and making its armor.

Eventually, I reached HR100 and beat the last mission, using Fashion Souls. Though not yet learning the hunting horn, I defeated it using the trusty Lance with the overpowered Guard Level 5 where stamina doesn't drain upon blocking, and Guard Up that blocks unblockable attacks. I really find that Lance is easy mode.

At any rate, I've never succeeded in fighting the very last post-game mission in any of the past Monster Hunter games. Not even the Japan-only one where the story missions were so easy that I could've done a no faint run on my first walkthrough, if I weren't so over-confident with the very last story hunt. However, the very last mission post-story I was never able to complete because you have to fight multiple monsters within a time limit, and I believe if you don't kill them fast enough, they show up at the same time.

Even though I completed the very last HR100 mission for the first time ever in my Monster Hunter career, I really want to learn the hunting horn. Each time I learned a new weapon, I played a new game. The game does an absolutely fantastic job in helping you to progress by gating how much you can improve your armors and weapons, so you're forced to be skilled enough to fight particular monsters.

Only when you succeed and become proficient enough with your weapons, can you then level up your armors, weapons and charms. The game is a masterpiece in this way because you end up getting to know your weapons at quite a competent level. Instead of "tanking through" the walls such as Anjanath and Nergigante by leveling up to overpowered levels (like you can do even in Dark Souls), you're forced to beat them with limited amount of offense and defense.

I felt this time I should try and "save time" and use my current Lance character, wearing the starting low rank armor. For Fashion Souls, I'm only wearing the leather headgear and the leather greaves since her socks look ridiculous. I'm using the starting hunting horn on low rank Jagras (our first monster) and working my way up. I can't use Niki, my Palico, or buff with meals because both are fully leveled.

I'm now at Kulu-Yaku (second monster), but with Defense at 3 and having a completely un-leveled weapon, I cart at least once to the chicken. I'm going to continue at it, but I have a feeling that I'll start a new game to progress more organically. Ironically, it may be the case that actually starting a new game will save more time than using my current character.

I'm hoping I can have some competency with the hunting horn, being a great support weapon (though secretly quite an offensive and powerful one), as I look forward to doing more COOP.

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...