Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Backloggery (Monday Musings 41)

I can see myself playing Fortnite and Monster Hunter: World for the rest of this year easily, given how the game is structured. Fortnite because Epic Games continues to have special events with new heroes and weapons. Strangely, even though the special event is composed mostly of fetch quests, they're still extremely fun to play.

This is due to the exploration of finding the various objects, and I love exploring and finding things. I also look forward to getting the special and extremely juicy rewards such as new legendary heroes, weapons and even a special survivor. I also find the stories of these events compelling and humorous, so I want to find out what happens next, and I always get a laugh playing these story missions.

In Monster Hunter: World there are 14 weapons, and every single weapon is very different from each other with unique combinations, move sets, and feel to the point where the game is a totally different one whenever you main a new weapon. Further, because each weapon is different, your builds will also be tailored to that weapons, and it's quite fun to theory craft the optimal build. So far in World, I played the Hammer, Charge Blade, Lance and Hunting Horn at a competent level. Last week, I was able to beat the HR100 mission using the Hunting Horn!

So I can see myself not only trying out weapons I never played in past Monster Hunter games, but wanting to be competent with them. These are all the ranged weapons (Bow, Light Bow Gun, Heavy Bow Gun), Great Sword, Gun Lance, Insect Glaive, and Sword and Shield. In past games, I mained Dual Blades, Long Sword, and Switch Axe. 

In addition to gaining competency with the other weapons to branch out, there are quite a few weapons I want to make, not to mention augment. Also, there are so many builds that I want to try out, which leads to many hours of playing World.

I felt guilty about not playing the many other games I have, even now, even though I feel that this is a misplaced guilt. The whole point of gaming is to have fun, which I wrote about in this post, so if you want to play the same game for years to come, why not?

Because of all the games I have yet to complete, I won't buy any other games unless it's my favorite franchise such as, off the top of my head, inevitable sequels of Horizon: Zero Dawn, Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter and so forth. I might not even get the upcoming remastered Dark Souls!

I'm writing about Backloggery.com as a free tool not to help you overcome your backlog, which it does a superb job, but to see all the games you have in a convenient location. This is to serve as a reminder as to which game you want to play next, as you can easily see all of your games in one place.

I think this is a better perspective to the joys of gaming as opposed to playing as many games as quickly as possible to get rid of backlog (even though it's quite refreshing to check them off as completed). I think it's better to savor and cherish your times with your video games, rather than playing them to get it over and done with.

However, it was quite refreshing to donate over 20 video games to the library in a win-win situation, greatly clearing out the backlog. Rather than having the games go to waste, other people (including me) can borrow and enjoy them. Further, it was frankly out of laziness as it takes less effort to drop off the games at my local library then selling them on Ebay with all the hassles that entails.

Conclusion: Check out Backloggery.com as an extremely convenient and free way to categorize your video games!

Apologies again for this late post.

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...