Monday, May 21, 2018

Dark Souls Remastered: Buy or Not? (Monday Musings 44)

My goal, to avoid backlog, is to only buy one game this year, which is Monster Hunter: World, unless it's a must-have such as Kingdom Hearts 3. However, I couldn't resist and pre-ordered Dark Souls Remastered for the PS4, since it's the greatest game ever made. This will release Friday, May 25th.

The rationale is I want to relive Dark Souls without the awful Blighttown lag, and I don't have access to PC for the DSFix that fixes this notorious problem. Since I love the game so much, it's almost a no-brainer for me to pre-order.

So, if you do NOT have access to a PC and you love this game as much as me and want to relive the experience in glorious HD and smooth frame rates, then I would recommend pre-ordering. However, if you have access to PC, I would NOT and just install DSFix for almost the same quality as the remastered version, per Digital Foundry:



However, if you hate or merely like Dark Souls, then obviously I wouldn't pre-order and save your hard-earned money.

Aside from these two extreme ends, what if you've never played Dark Souls before? This is where it gets tricky. I would highly consider pre-ordering for the following reasons.

If you love exploring diverse areas, with rich world-building and lore (albeit weak story), Dark Souls may be up your alley. Indeed, the world is chock-full of secrets, traps, and various surprises, that you'll always find something new upon each play through.

If you really enjoy meticulous combat where you have to think through your moves, this game may appeal to you. Out of all the Dark Souls series, this is the game where I have to min/max my armor to beat bosses in NG+7 (the hardest difficulty level), as opposed to literally full Havel's with maximum poise in Dark Souls 3.

For example, to avoid spoilers, one such boss I needed to flip around his elemental attacks, so my encumbrance had to be 25% with elemental resistances. I actually had to use the Mugenmonkey armor builder calculator to figure out the optimal sets for the most tricky bosses at higher NG+'s.

If you love min/max and creating very customizable (albeit, in general, un-attractive) characters, I think this game is worth pre-ordering.

For more details, here's the link to my review of the game explaining why it's the best game created to date.

If you're going to get this game, and it's your first time playing, I would recommend NOT getting the Master Key as your gift, so you can more fully appreciate the brilliant level design. I know most will recommend the Master Key. Indeed, I followed everyone's advice, until my last playthrough, I chose the Pendant instead, and it made me appreciate the level design even more!

In the meantime, I'm so very excited about this game, and hopefully this time around I'll be able to memorize the entire map and all item locations!

What about you, will you be getting the remastered version? 

The How of Happiness Review

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of buying it since I never did play the original Dark Souls but 40 dollars seems a bit too much for a 7 year old game with minimal noticeable changes especially since I'm on pc but the revived and easier to use multiplayer element might just seal the deal for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Omar!

      I forgot about the multiplayer, in which case, you must get the remastered in order to PvP, which is unfortunate, and its best to get it right away when the community is at its largest.

      I would get it if you never purchased Dark Souls before, b/c $40 is a great price for the game itself, with additional bonus of improved graphics and framerate. Plus, the gameplay is at least 100 hours, maybe less if you look at guides and have perfect sense of direction. Further, PvP can add additional hundreds of hours depending on how much you love it.

      If you never bought the game and don't care about PvP, then I would wait until it drops in price.

      However, if you already have DS1 on PC, then I would hold off and download DSFix, of course, unless you love PvP.

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...