Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Waking Up Challenge (Monday Musings 64)

Sorry this post is way overdue! I found Twitch streaming, while extremely rewarding, very time-consuming, so I'll recommit to the Monday Musings weekly series in a more timely manner!

Throughout my entire life, I could never get up as soon as the alarm rings, often hitting the snooze buttons (I use 2 alarms in case the other one doesn't go off) over and over again. However, while streaming, I met psychgamerrr who, throughout his life, gets up at 5 AM, exercises then after doing chores, he'd do relaxing activities such as reading before he heads off to work.

That really resonated with me, so I was successful in forcing myself to get out of bed at 7 AM three days in a row, and strangely enough, I'm getting quite used to it even after all these decades of lying in bed well after the alarm clock goes off.

By getting up on time, it reaps a lot of benefits. For one, I make sure I'm bed on time b/c I really need at least 8 hours to function, and I notice that I am getting rather sleepy when it comes close to my bedtime. Whereas in the past, since I'd frequently sleep in, it didn't matter what time I'd fall asleep on days I don't work.

I also note that by the time I finish everything I need to do, it's 9 AM, or even earlier depending on how quickly I do things--admittedly, I move around slowly after getting up since I feel very sluggish, but it's so refreshing to have all that free time after 9 AM to do whatever I want!

I also feel a sense of accomplishment for getting these things done, so I can truly enjoy my free time. When I was doing fun things while procrastinating, I couldn't enjoy it having chores hanging over my head.

I hope to keep to this routine and will report on it from time to time.

I'm curious, if you have no problems getting up as soon as the alarm clock rings, what techniques have you used to get up on time?

The How of Happiness Review

2 comments:

  1. Since my bus arrives at 6:15 AM, I'm basically forced to wake up at 5:45 AM to have any type of time to meet the basic standards of leaving the house so that's 5 minutes pep talking my body to get off the bed, about 10 minutes getting ready which gives me another 10 minutes to fuck around while contemplating life. So basically I'm in for a really bad morning if I don't wake up as soon as the alarm goes off which is a really rare occurrence so you're not alone there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you again Omar! That's extremely early and I'm impressed that you can get ready so quickly! Indeed, even though I'm technically out of bed less than 1 minute after the alarm rings (and this was only for the past week), it takes me well over an hour and a half to get ready for work.

      You've now motivated me to be more efficient to get ready faster! I want to see if I can do it in 30 minutes!

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...