Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year's Resolutions (Monday Musings 25)

Wishing you all a Happy New Year! New Year's is my favorite holiday because it's refreshing to start anew with new resolutions to make this year better, and seeing the New Year as a fresh start.

With every New Year, I make resolutions that I don't follow through, and I'm sure a lot of other people do this as well. Even though I know the reasons why I don't do what I resolve to, and have proposed solutions, the resolutions nevertheless fall apart. 

I'll use one of my resolutions as an example, which is to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Often, it'll strike midnight and I feel that this is already too late, so why not just stay up later anyway because I already broke my resolution to go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

So, even though I didn't achieve the goal of going to bed at a reasonable hour, I could come closer to the goal by turning in at midnight, instead of rationalizing, why not stay up until 3 AM or so, and indeed, end doing so. I have to teach myself to not use having stayed up past my bedtime as an excuse to stay up even later because I've already broken my resolution anyway.

Another of my usual resolutions is to exercise more regularly. I should follow the guideline that it's better to exercise later in the day, as one's muscles are warmed up, preventing injury,  but anytime I don't exercise first thing in the morning, I simply don't exercise. For me, it's best to do something that I dislike as soon as possible to get it out of the way so I can enjoy the rest of the day. So to exercise regularly, I need to do this first thing in the morning.

One thing that's helped consistently in terms of exercise is setting my goal very low. I don't go to the gym, but rather exercise at home so I don't make the excuse that it's too cold to exercise, or i'm too tired to gather belongings and drive to the gym.

The easiest and most accessible exercise is to simply walk around one's domicile. You don't even have to get dressed (unless you do, for modesty's sake in re: cohabitants). I designate a spot to start, and start there; and the goal is I don't even have to DO any exercise. Make the commitment to just show up and if I just stand there, I've met my goal.

Interestingly, when I tried that, there was only a few times I just stood there and called it quits. Even so, most of the time, I exercised. I followed this easy regimen for one month, but then stopped, for reasons I don't remember now.

Another example of incorporating an easy goal is my blog. My resolution early on was to post something every week (Monday Musings). So last week, I posted, even though it was the most minimal effort. However, I'm sure there will be a Monday when I don't post, but I'm hoping I will recommit to the weekly routine.

Even though New Year's is my favorite holiday, perhaps the concept of New Year's is the issue. Often, if we want to make a healthy lifestyle change over the winter holidays, we tell ourselves to wait until it's January 1st, as the start of the New Year. When we break our resolutions, we tend to tell ourselves to wait until Sunday for a do over, since that's the start of the week. 

There's nothing special about January 1st, or any given Sunday, as the only day that we can restart your goal. Rather, see any day as the day to recommit, even today!

What were some of your resolutions, and with the ones that you achieved, how did you achieve them? 

The How of Happiness Review

4 comments:

  1. I love new years, even though I don't set resolutions and what have you for myself,if I want change, I don't wait till the new year, it can be great help to people who perhaps nwed a little motivation, a kickstart. It's also a wonderful time to gather with friends and family, and reflact on all that's happened in the year just past, reflecrion I worry not enough people do in rhe first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year's Cheesus! It's always good to reflect, and following the mantra, any time is good to reflect!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year !!!

    Wishing you all a great 2018. Whether you make resolutions or not, I do hope that all your hopes dreams and desires are fulfilled this year and you spend as much of it as possible with a smile on your face, have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilly_ and very happy new year to you as well! As you know, I enjoy your stream immensely, and how you created such a fun, loving community. Wishing you peace, love and happiness! I really appreciate your well wishes!

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...