Monday, January 22, 2018

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana--A Must Play! (Monday Musings 28)

I finished playing Ys VIII on the PS4, and achieved the true ending. If you love JRPGs, you must play this game! I never heard of the Ys series, but fortunately my friend was yearning for another grand, sweeping RPG, so I did a quick Google search, and Ys VIII came up. Doing quick research, I was also impressed that the President of Falcom apologized for the translation, and as a result, the new English translation patch is free.

As it scored even higher than Tales of Berseria on Metacritic, the general rule of adding at least 20 to 30 points when it comes to JRPGs held true. Since it received 85, then it's in the masterpiece range!

Right now, I'm cleaning up the trophies, which appear rather easy to obtain. Since there's a lot of post-game content, I'll write a review as soon as possible, if I don't get side-tracked by the soon to be released Monster Hunter: World!

General advice: if you don't care about trophies, then I'd play this game without any guides, unless you're truly stuck, to be fully immersed in the gripping story and wonderful characters.

However, if you do care about trophies, there are some missable trophies, including a difficulty trophy. If you want the Platinum in one walkthrough, then you must play it on Nightmare Difficulty. This is a great trophy guide where it outlines the missable trophies, without any spoilers.

Since I want to achieve Platinum and relive the game again, I played it on Normal, and then after clean up, I'm going to play it the second time on Nightmare difficulty.

I'm impressed by the fact that you can map buttons any way you want. The default controls didn't make sense, so I mapped R2 for regular attacks, and the R1 + (face buttons) for the special attacks. I would do this before starting the game.

Finally, I would play any character that appeals to you. I found that at least on normal difficulty, it doesn't matter who's in your party. Any combination is viable, which is highly appreciated.

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...