Monday, March 5, 2018

Monster Hunter: World Charge Blade Advice (Monday Musings 34)

Since the Charge Blade (CB) was first introduced in Monster Hunter 4, I wanted to main the weapon because it was considered overpowered along with the new Insect Glaive.

The other appealing aspect of CB is related to my playstyle. I'm the type of person who always wants a build that can "do everything" such as in Dark Souls where I level up all the important stats to 50 (soft cap), and then I work on getting 80s down the road. So I'd like to use a weapon that can do everything.

Although the first weapon I mained, the hammer, is extremely fun, and so satisfying when you slide down a gentle hill and you spin like this, not to mention knocking out monsters. The problem is that you can't cut off tails, and sometimes that's the only way to get certain materials for your upgrades.

So you need to resort to another weapon that can cut off tails. I used the Switch Axe as it felt the best to me. Note: ALL the weapons are excellent at cutting off tails that are not named Hammer or Hunting Horn.

However, the issue with even the Switch Axe is that I needed to face Diablos and worse Black Diablos, and often, when they go underground, it's often hard to roll out of the way. I thought, it would be helpful if I can just shield myself instead. Further, I'm a turtler, and always have my shield up in the Dark Souls series, often prizing defense over attack power.

Enter the Charge Blade. It can do all these things, plus it's very powerful. It can knock out monsters, cut tails, and shield you from attacks. Therefore, I felt that once and for all, I should really try to understand the CB.

But, you may ask, what about the Sword and Shield (SnS)? Indeed, the SnS could be even more powerful than the CB due to consistent damage, cut parts, and you can use your shield not just to guard, but also to knock out monsters.

The SnS also excels in applying status effects very quickly (along with the Dual Blades), all the while abusing health/attack boosting items, since you don't have to sheathe your weapon! You can imagine, whaling on the monster, then taking a quick break to throw down a life powder to help your teammates, and then resume attacking the monster.

However, to me, the CB feels better than the SnS because I like the heaviness of it, I quite like the mechanical aspects of transform and fidgeting with the phials, and it has better range than the SnS. Most importantly, to me, CB was more fun than the SnS. 

I'm going to write down the MOST basic concept of Charge Blade, but NOT the moves, because when the CB was introduced, no matter how many times I read tutorials, it didn't make sense and made my eyes cross.

For instance, does this make sense to you: If you want to gauge the distance between you and the monster to pull off a Super Amped Elemental Discharge (SAED or super) more consistently and most efficiently, then making sure your shield is charged with ideally full phials, triangle to hit, circle and push the analog stick away from the monster to create the necessary distance, then you can do your triangle + Circle x 2 combo to unleash the SAED.

When you read the combination instructions of any weapon, it makes no sense, which is why I was struggling with understanding the CB when it first came out. Further, I don't believe I found out about Gaijin Hunter back then, otherwise, I would've watched his tutorials, and probably would've used the CB when it first came out.

STEP ONE: THE VERY BASICS
Charge Blade is both a sword & shield and an axe. It transforms between those two forms.

This is very much like Bloodborne's trick weapons. Because of these two modes, CB is very versatile. You can cut off tails in both modes, use shield to block, and KO monsters with the axe if your axe has impact phials.

Conceptually, the way the CB works is that every time you hit monsters with your sword, you produce energy and store them into phials. You can put these phials of energy into your shield, which will make your shield stronger, so it will block better.

Further, the head of your axe is actually your shield, so by powering up your shield with these phials of energy, you can be sure that all this energy will make your axe attacks stronger.

You can also spend these phials of energy into special, powerful attacks.

Indeed, the complexity of CB lies in the manipulation of these phials of energy, and what to do with them. The videos will show you all the moves of both forms, and how to manipulate your phials. So, with that being said:

Go to Step Two. 

Additional information here (NOT necessary to read):

 

STEP TWO: THE VIDEOS
Now that you know the basic concept, and if you like the idea that the CB can do everything, go to the training room and watch the following videos instead of reading tutorials. A picture is worth a thousand words! Also, practice your moves in the training room along with the videos.

I would start with Rurikhan as on overview, as the World Charge Blade has a new feature where you can charge the sword, so Gaijin Hunter's 4U video wouldn't include how to charge sword.

Video One: Rurikhan's Monster Hunter: World Charge Blade Tips

I would then practice those moves until you feel you get the basic ideas down, including even the concept of the Guard Points. I found that Rurikhan did a superb job showing you how to pull off GPs, and indeed it's very tricky.

Once you know how to do all the attacks, combos, and guard points, to refine your approach, Gaijin Hunter's fantastic video is really helpful as he literally explains each single attack. Again, since this is based on Monster Hunter 4U, there was no charging of sword back then, and there's some minor differences that you''ll notice, but you won't be confused as you have already digested Rurikhan's video. I have a feeling he'll come out with a World Charge Blade tutorial, in which case, it'll be a must-view.

Video Two: Gaijin Hunter's MH4U: Ultimate Charge Blade Tutorial

If you really have all these basics down after watching these two videos, it's time to go on real hunts! Once you get the hang of the CB, I would then watch Arekkz Gaming's superb CB tutorial. I recommend watching his videos last because Arekkz talks so fast, that when I first watched his video, his instructions went over my head, so I had to find other CB tutorials.

However, after familiarizing myself with the CB in the training room and having real world experience, I still had to rewind a lot, but at least I understood what he was saying. Indeed, it was worth going through multiple times to get down all the nuances of the CB.

His second video shows a small correction (which you will know right away from Rurikhan's video and practicing CB), and how to gauge the distance for your Super Amped Elemental Discharge.

Video Three: Arekkz Gaming's Charge Blade Tutorial

Video Four: Arekkz Gaming's Advanced Charge Blade Tutorial

Finally, Arekkz Gaming's video on how to be a better monster hunter is very compelling. Even someone like Arekkz ,who mastered the series and all weapons, said that you should slow down and not over commit if you notice yourself getting carted frequently, as you have 50 minutes! So you must avoid the fetish of fast kill times.

I was heartened to hear a professional say that, because in MH circles, there's always the unfortunate thinking that "you suck" if you can't kill monsters fast, when the reality is to enjoy the game and avoid being carted (albeit in expeditions it doesn't matter if you're carted).

As Arekkz says, it's better to live another day then over commit, so be patient and take things slow. I noticed that when I slowed down and attacked when there's a clear, safe opening, yes I might take 30 to 40 mins but it's more refreshing then being carted twice and barely completing the mission. Further, fighting the same monster over and over again using a more thoughtful approach, depending upon the monster, my time often gets shaved down to 20 mins or shorter with practice.

I also like how he didn't cherry pick one of his many flawless hunts, so there was a point where his hunt went south, advised not to be flustered, but to get yourself back under control and then resume.

Lastly, I would advise capturing the monster rather than killing since you get more rewards through capture. However, if you want the challenge of killing the monster, Arekkz gives excellent advice on how to deal with that scenario.

Video Five: Arekkz Gaming's How To Be A Better Hunter

TL/DR: I feel that if you understand the basic concept of Charge Blade of being both sword & shield and an axe, and that you manipulate phials of energy for powerful attacks, watch the videos, go over your moves in training room and on real hunts, that you'll become a proficient CB practitioner. I hope you'll consider using the CB, as it's a truly satisfying and elegant weapon!

What weapons are you maining and/or recommend? What are your thoughts on the Charge Blade?

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...