Monday, March 19, 2018

Monster Hunter: World Further Thoughts (Monday Musings 36)

Infinite Replayability
I'm clearly obsessed with MH: World and started a new playthrough focusing on the lance. Since every single video showed how destructive and lethal the Charge Blade's Guard Points (GP) are, I really want to get down GP, but failed miserably except in the controlled training room setting, which never quite translates in real hunts. Who doesn't want to be able to GP

which lead to stunning AND damaging him at the same time, as well as even charging phials?

So, fed up with not getting down GPs, I've decided to dabble with the lance. My thinking was that if I pursue a Guard Lance playstyle, I'll spend more time guarding (and at times evading when the situation calls for it), as opposed to dodging. By focusing on timing guards using the Lance, this will help me transition smoothly into CB's guard points.

Indeed, I was using the defensive part of Charge Blade like the Switch Axe (SA). Since the SA doesn't have a shield, the defensive maneuvers consist of dodging. The rationale of the CB, having a powerful shield component, is to use the shield to guard, but even then it doesn't have the destructive power of GP's parry and riposte type system. But still, the shield is there to block so it's reasonable to just guard as a CB wielder.

However, to really master CB, you need to get down GPs, but again, you don't need to even use CB's shield at all to get through the game. In fact, a lot of the time, I whiff on the most powerful attack (Super-Amped Elemental Discharge), and yet I was able to beat all missions (except the very last) with unoptimized armor (Fashion Hunter).

But, MH: World is the type of game where you really want to get better and master your weapon of choice, even though not necessary, which is one of the reasons why this game is a masterpice.

At any rate, this is a roundabout way of saying that MH:World has Infinite Replayability. For one thing, anyone can always get better at their weapon of choice, but once you get bored, you can go to another weapon, and the game really feels like a totally different one!

Improvements: Character Creation, Weapon/Armor Design, and Tutorials

The major improvement is inclusion of more monsters, which I covered in last Monday Musing's post, but here are some additional enhancements that I'd like to see:

Character Creation
If you want to switch to a different weapon, there's NO need to start all over again like I did. Initially for my main CB character, Niki after my orange tabby, when I decided to try out the lance, I wore the starting leather set and wield the starting lance, fighting low-rank Jagras and then Kulu-Yaku, the first two major monsters in the game, so I can work my way up by learning the basics like you do at the start of the game. I had to leave behind my trusty Palico Ninja, since a level 30 kitty is quite OP in low-rank.

However, in the end, I decided to switch roles so my main character is Ninja (ironic since the hunter is fearless, and Ninja's scared of her own shadow) and my trusty Palico, Niki so I can make an orange tabby. But in order to make these various changes, I had to make a whole new file.

I was upset that this game is following the bad MMO tradition of charging you real money just to change your character's appearance. They gave us a one-time free voucher, but you can only change your character, but not names, and you certainly can't change your Palico. If you make a mistake with this free voucher and want to change yet again, you have to purchase, with REAL money (not in-game dollars), more vouchers.

So a huge improvement would be the ability to change your character and Palico's appearances and genders, as well as their names. I really don't see the issue of being able to change them anytime you want, as this is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay.

At this point, I'm upset in the sense that Capcom is going down this route as it appears like a cash grab. However, I'm really not upset about starting a new character, as it's fun to relive the story and start from scratch as a newbie Lance user, that is for me. That's the key point, it's not a problem for me, but it's certainly not fair to others who really want to change names and appearances, but don't want to start all over again.

Weapon and Armor Design
I'm hoping the next MH will have more weapon variety, as well as changing designs as you upgrade. The past Monster Hunters, there were multiple weapons of the same element, but in World, there may be 1 or 2 of each element. Further, in past series, whenever you upgrade a mere 3 times, the weapon drastically changes in appearance, getting larger, more intricate and more "bad-ass".

However, in World, the low-rank weapon upgrade goes through at least 6 upgrades, the name of weapon even changing, but still looks exactly the same as the starting weapon, which is a bit of a let-down.

Some of the ultimate weapons look amazing, such as the CB's Nergigante final weapon but others look underwhelming such as CB's Diablos and Kadachi final weapons, so hopefully they'll improve the design.

From memory, I believe the armor only changes in appearance when you go from low rank to high rank in past MHs, which I hope will be the case in the next game. To motivate the player, I wonder if all the low rank armor look good, but the high rank markedly improved?

Fashion Disparity between male and female armor sets
They also need to rethink Fashion Hunter, as some of the armor for women look horrendous. Here, for the Brigade Armor, he looks like a dashing swashbuckler, and yet she looks like one of the hub attendants, which is very uninspiring. Further almost all the helmets look bad. Yes there's a "hide helmet" feature which should be included, but at the same time, why not make more flattering helmets?

I was able to beat the game and all the missions (except the last) using Fashion Hunter, so my armor was not optimized. I'm seeing if I can keep this up for the very last test when you reach HR Level 100 (I'm in the 80s).

However, it's annoying not having optimized armor just because of fashion issues, so I'm hoping that this game or the next will include a feature where you can equip the armor you're using, but then set different pieces of armor for appearance, as in Xenoblade Chronicles X and from what I hear, a lot of MMOs do this as well.

Tutorials
Lastly, I'm hoping the next Monster Hunter will have better tutorials. My friends who are newcomers didn't even realize that you're supposed to cook steaks as a primary way of recouping stamina, which is so basic, and in fact, I believe that was the first thing we did in Monster Hunter 3U, which was a title that Capcom specifically wanted to appeal to newcomers.

Further, the training room is lacking. When I was practicing lance, there's a list of combos on your screen, but, I didn't see the inputs for the running move where you can chase after monsters, which has been a classic feature of all lances. Further combinations of this running move were shown but only when you figure out how to run. Those who never lanced, how are we supposed to figure this out on our own? In the end, we resort to Youtube to get down all the moves and special attacks, but that really kills immersion and off-putting to potential new players, to say the least. 

I'm not sure how difficult this is to code, but perhaps have a trainer. It can be even better if there's a trainer for each weapon, but at the very least, a melee and ranged trainer. Each trainer will go through all the basic and advanced moves, as well as special attacks. He or she would say, press triangle for basic attack, which you then follow and once you get that move down, the trainer will then show you the most important 3-move combinations, and so on.

What other changes would you like to see in this and future Monster Hunters


The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...