Monday, March 12, 2018

Monster Hunter: World Hopes and Prediction (Monday Musings 35)

Although the very first Monster Hunter I played was Monster Hunter 3U for the Wii U, the very first one I experienced was Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PS Vita, which I promptly died to Tigrex when he showed up out of nowhere. As a result, I thought the game was too hard and quit. Aside from Tigrex popping out of the blue, the other striking memory of this short-lived experience was how you must drink hot drinks to go through this cold area, which I neglected to do, stamina bar draining throughout this first inauspicious run.

Indeed, hot drinks are such a staple item, almost as necessary as well-done steaks that upon completing my solo Fashion Hunter "challenge" run maining the Charge Blade, I noticed how there's absolutely no cold zones, and as a result, no hot drinks! The trope of a lot of RPGs is to feature volcanic and snowy areas. World has the volcanic Elder Recess area where you can finally make cold drinks. So yeah, there are cold drinks, but where are the hot drinks?

That being said, World is a complete and finished game with a solid, fleshed out story and lore, so I'm hoping that Capcom will come out with a DLC of a snowy area, to feature our beloved classic monsters. No hunter would be upset if it's paid content, as I'd gladly pay for a completely new section of the map (the left hand side of the general world map looks conspicuously open) featuring a cold, snowy region and our trusty hot drinks.

In this new cold region DLC, I'm hoping for our favorite monsters such as snow-variants of Arzuros, Nargacuga, Zinogre, and my personal favorite Yian Kut-Ku, and include snowy mammals such as Barioth and Lagombi. I know Khezu was not well-liked, however, the uniqueness of the monster would be a hopeful addition and add variety to World. I recall vividly my friend remarking, with total revulsion, how disgusting he is in this ecology cutscene from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite:


I'm also happy to hear that it's not just me, but in Japan, Yian Kut-Ku is one of the top 5 favorite monsters and there's even a stuffed animal of him! So how can World not include this staple? And how can you not have Hot Drinks? So I predict as well as hope for a snowy map.

Indeed, I would have to say that World is the best Monster Hunter and is better than all its predecessors in every aspect I can think of, except for not having as many and as diverse monsters. I wished the game were as goofy and zany as past series with the "So Tasty" after cooking a well-done steak, and the utter chaos of Palico chefs, but that's subjective:




Although it's rather tiring to have yet another quest of a Rathalos/Rathian variant, and indeed, in World it got old to fight yet another reskin of not just Rathalos, but Monoblos/Diablos and so forth. Yet, the past Monster Hunters had all kinds and types of monsters including crustaceans, insects, snakes, you name it.

Again, no one would see this as a cash-grab DLC, because the main-game is complete and polished, just as no one saw Horizon: Zero Dawn DLC, The Frozen Wilds as a cash-grab. In fact, fans were demanding new HZD content, which Guerilla Games delivered. Indeed, their forum became even more positive and loving after this release, if that's even possible.

Lastly, I wish we can chose past theme songs from past Monster Hunters, as I must say, the music was a bit repetitive in Astera. This is my favorite Monster Hunter song which I hope they'd let us chose among many others:




What are your thoughts? Would you be open to buying a DLC of a new cold, snowy region featuring classic monsters? Would you like to be able to chose past Monster Hunter theme songs for Astera? 

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...