Saturday, September 1, 2018

Extreme Behemoth--My Most Hated Boss Of All Time (Monday Musings 60)

I was able to defeat Monster Hunter: World's Normal Behemoth enough times to get the Hunter
The Hated Behemoth
and Palico armors, and the Insect Glaive. As soon as I got the last materials, my immediate reaction was relief that I never ever have to fight normal Behemoth again! 


This is the exact opposite reaction that I had when fighting Kulve Taroth. Even after getting two of her weapons that I wanted, her Diablos Charge Blade and her Crest Claw Lance, I continued to fight Kulve because she's fun. She's also very fair, because you can literally solo her on your own (albeit it has taken me 1.5 hrs). And certainly with COOP, you can beat her faster. 


Further, with Kulve, any weapon is viable against her. The Kulve Taroth Raid is in the spirit of all the past Monster Hunters. You can fight any monster solo with any weapon, as all weapons are viable, and (if you have a competent team) you can kill the monster faster in COOP, regardless of weapon composition of your team.

However, with the new Extreme Behemoth (Extremoth), the spirit of Monster Hunter is thrown out the window. The most effective and best weapon against him is the HBG, and in fact, 4 extremely skilled hunters were able to kill him under 5 minutes with HBG Cluster Bomb method:



Other weapons are certainly viable if you're extremely skilled, but for the average gamer, HBG with shield is the way to go.

Indeed, the normal person doesn't have the skill to pull off an under 5 minute Extreme Behemoth win. In fact, you have to be way better than average, and actually be quite good against Extreme to even have a fighting chance of beating him. But you also need to have an equally good team. Please allow me to explain:

Extremoth can now spam up to 8 Ecliptic Meteors. If you:
  1. don't hide behind a comet (often there's no comet and/or the lone comet gets destroyed because he may have dropped it on lava)
  2. don't run out of the area, or
  3. don't perform the gesture Jump in time (and the window is very small)
then you automatically cart! Sadly, Guard UP (blocks otherwise unblockable attacks) doesn't protect you from his Ecliptic. 

As you all know, three carts and you've lost the mission. You can see how a party can easily wipe to Extremoth's Ecliptic. He also has a new shoulder bash attack that 1HKO in phase 3. I believe that even if you have Guard UP (blocks otherwise unblockable attacks), that specific melee attack can 1HKO as well, leading yet another possible cart.


I feel that I can beat Extreme Behemoth but only if I can pull off the Jump gesture in time. I have very poor positional awareness to be close to a comet or exit. However, to practice this gesture, you can only do that while facing Behemoth.

Often the team wipes (and then leaves if there's so much as 1 faint in the 1st phase), even before he does his Ecliptic attacks. I've also seen party members leave when they notice that there's not an ideal composition (preferably HBG, but also support/healer, tank builds). Therefore, I won't get enough practice in to learn how to perform this jump, unless I dedicate many, many hours.

However, let's pretend that after 100 hours of practice, I finally get this Jump timing down to perfection.  Next, I need to be lucky to be in a team with three others who can also flawlessly execute. This part is purely random and logically, you may never even beat Extreme Behemoth even if you can avoid all his 1HKO moves.

Technically, you may end up having really awful luck and end up with a party that wipes all the time. Therefore, even if you can flawlessly execute, you still may never beat Behemoth because you end up with a team that carts all the time due to pure bad luck.

Now, there are those who can solo Extreme Behemoth, but that's only a handful out of a million players out there. The developers made sure you only get 30 minutes and they increased his health to a whopping 50,000.

If I do sound salty, I am indeed! Due to streaming and wanting to improve my content, I don't have the time to practice against Extremoth.

Even so, I think it's accurate to say that Extreme Behemoth is unfair based on what I discussed above, as victory even for the skilled person, is dependent on others, unlike Kulve and all the monsters I've faced in all the mainline Monster Hunter series. And again, this goes against the spirit of Monster Hunter.

Youtuber, DarkHero, did a superb job explaining exactly why Extreme Behemoth is unfair in even more detail than I put forth, since he actually beat the mission! See his video discussion here:



DarkHero is clearly NOT salty, because here's his Extreme Behemoth win:



Conclusion: Due to the unfairness of Extremoth, and the fact that he goes against the spirit of what Monster Hunter is all about, he's my most hated boss of all time. 

The How of Happiness Review

8 comments:

  1. On the upside, though, more carts! rooHappy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh smot, I didn't see this until now since neglecting the blog :NotLikeThis: thanks for letting me know about the spam comments!

      Delete
  2. Hey smot! So good to see you here. Yes, definitely more carts! I think if I weren't streaming, I'd keep practicing until I get the overlay. I really want it badly!

    I think save scrumming is vital here so after a day's practice, just save the online or USB to system file, so you don't run out of items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice, Skooma here!
    > Next, I need to be lucky to be in a team with three others who can also flawlessly execute.

    This right here is why the fight is gross, and even if you're selective of your team when joining SOS (Sorry, I won't be joining a 3 longsword player party), even if everyone's a great hunter in their own right, you may not have synergy with the team. There's also a language barrier for some of us (for example, I mostly play with Japanese players due to my timezone, and even other europeans don't have to necessarily understand english), there's no way of knowing if they understood my custom shout "I'm going to put him to sleep!" or "I'm switching to a more offensive build".

    Here's how you beat Extremoth easily or at least in few tries without a 4 party HBG: Have 1 tank who can consistently get enmity. That eliminates the charybdis spam, the tri meteor and everybody else can focus on doing damage. Then you have someone with wide range and a LOT of materials for heals, buffs, Adamant Seeds to cure Def Down and astera jerky to cure bleed. Save all bombs and sleeps for phase 3 and 4. Don't rush in after he changes zones so he can't start his charybdis spam and block the rest of the team while we're restocking. And ideally the tank will also position themselves in a way that everyone's close to the comet, but without the danger of Behemoth destroying it.

    This is what Capcom envisioned for fight. But good luck pulling all of that off with random players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome to the blog Skooma!

      Thanks for explaining the unfairness of this fight better than I did.

      the fight is so frustrating, b/c the only weapon that can reliably gain enmity is widespread HBG--as a Lance main, it takes too long and not as consistent.

      Next you have to pray for Healing person who won't skimp on resources. Then you need two others to do the DPS.

      On top of that, no one can cart from up to 8 Ecliptic meteors, which he can spam 3 in last phase, with the lone comet breaking b/c it lands on lava.

      The possibility of what you discussed may not happen, so you have no control over the outcome, unlike other monsters. I KNOW if I fail to Nergigante it's b/c of me, not b/c of other factors out of my control.

      I think that's why this fight is unfair, and I'm resolved and sad about the fact that I'll never get the overlay/guild card title!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I feel you on the lance thing, which is a shame because its the most flexible and safest weapon with guard (which you introduced me to :~). Shelling gunlance can be better but yeah nothing beats HBG. If you get lucky with a good HBG tank in your team, protect them at all costs!

      LOL, in one of my runs I had the very last comet with the safe side blocked by some rocks on the lava. The disappointment of all 4 of us could be felt through the screen in the second he cast the meteor. Made for a funny kill screen.

      Also after some more runs I've decided phase 2 is definitely a make it or break it phase and it should be ended with as much haste as phase 3. Usually in my runs at least 1 person carts there (lightning+meteor+charybdis too op!), or he breaks the comet.

      Also, I've had a few HH hunters on my runs and I know you love the HH, and they usually do great on their own right, so try a few times at least until he leaves. If anything this fight teaches a lot about weapon limitations, communication with a team without mic and being a support, which I rarely play!

      (removed my previous comment because i'm bad at this)

      Delete
    4. you were so close Skooma! I did well with HH, but what ends up happening is I'm playing the song and encore--the animation is so long and you can't cancel out of it, that the ecliptic meteor strikes and I cart. It's a shame b/c I was keeping the team alive by spamming healing items (wide range 5 and recovery up).

      I did better with lance in surviving, but it doesn't draw enmity. Since I'm learning more ranged weapons, I'm hoping to be skilled in HBG, and bring in widespread in a tank role, I think having guard 5 and guard up with three shields might do the trick, as long as I can do the jump timing!

      In the meantime, good luck, I hope you get the overlay Skooma, you deserve it!

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...