Monday, September 24, 2018

Twitch Partnership--Not Necessarily Worth It (Monday Musings 62)

Exhibit A: August Viewers 12
I've discovered during my first two months of streaming that getting Twitch Partnership may not be worth it, but Twitch Streaming is invaluable (this will be a subject for another time).

The requirements for even applying for
Exhibit B: September Viewers 14
Partnership is very difficult. Once you have 75 concurrent viewers, you have the right to apply. However, your application can still be turned down for Partnership.


The question is, is it worth getting Partnership? I'll break down the details so you can make that determination for yourself.

My August average viewers was 12 (Exhibit A) and for the month of September, the average was 14 (Exhibit B). 

Going through the numbers, it seems that the second month gained 2 viewers, but other months, my average can drop, so let's put the average number to 1 viewer/month.

To get to the magic 75, that will take 75-14 = 61 extra months, more than 4 years. I'm always of the mind that it doesn't matter how long it takes you to succeed, as long as you get there. For instance, who cares if it takes you 4 years to lose 100 pounds instead of 2 weeks, and indeed, it's MUCH safer to lose that much weight slowly so your body doesn't go into "shock". 

However, during the 4 years, what if there's a major life event and you need to take time off, you may lose viewers over time. Viewers may look around for you, but after awhile, they might think you're not going to return and move onto another streamer, viewer numbers then plummeting. In fact, I heard a lot of streamers who could be Partner, taking time off, then returning, but viewer numbers decrease, which is very demoralizing.

But, let's say that I can eventually get to 75, and my application is accepted, is getting Partnership still worth it? I think for me it's not because of the sacrifices you have to make. 

For one thing, I haven't been following one of my friend's brilliant health advice, in which he unplugs his computer and ONLY turns it on after he completes all of his day's chores and responsibilities. Instead, as soon as I wake up, I check my Discord server, which is a convenient place to communicate to your viewers, scrolling through to make sure I reply to everyone's comments in a timely manner.

Next I open Twitch, and lurk multiple streamers. What I mean by lurking is that I'd write a comment in chat for one streamer, and then flip from tab to tab talking to chat, while eating breakfast and lunch, doing chores, and exercise. Also while lurking, I write down my Twitch topics and perform my pre-stream rituals. Then I stream for 4 hrs, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

After streaming, while lurking multiple streamers, I eat dinner. If I'm conscientious that day, I read the nightbot chat log to make sure I private message (PM) new viewers thanking them for watching the stream, and thanking those who followed, subbed, gave me bits. I've been getting worse about reading the chat log due to the increasing number of comments.

Does this sound time consuming and potentially tiring? The answer is yes. However, be advised that I have it way cushier than most people who stream since I have a cushy workload. I don't know how anyone can sustain this type of activity if you work 40 hours/week and you must add 10 hrs/week for transportation and getting ready for work.

In other words, Stream Key podcasts are correct that you have to sacrifice a lot, including sleep to gain Partnership.

This is not to mention those who are parents and also work full-time. Whereas with Twitch, you can gain Partnership (if you do all the networking program that I laid out, and that does NOT even include using Twitter and Instagram which I've been ignoring), but will you get the amount of subscribers, bits and ad dollars to net the average American salary of 50K/year? Maybe, maybe not.

The other reason of my wanting Partnership (aside from ego issues) is to give legitimate advice to those who want to achieve Partnership. But given the unhealthy nature and risking health for minor rewards (not even guaranteeing a salary or living wage), I'm pivoting to advising putting in tip jar in your channel panel. 

The Stream Key podcasts are superb in discussing how to achieve Partnership, but already two of the podcasts I listened to mentioned sacrificing sleep, which I think may be a necessary sacrifice to gain Partnership, especially if you have a family and/or work full-time. But am I casting the proverbial stone at these two streamers from Stream Key podcasts and being a hypocrite?

Yes, because to achieve my MD degree, I sacrificed sleep. However, you do obtain your MD degree and net a career at the end of the long haul, with actual salary and benefits. Realize that Twitch doesn't give you a guaranteed salary, so once you're a Partner, your income will come from subscriptions, bits (people buy bits through Twitch and give out bits which are converted to cash), advertisements, and donations from your tip jar.

Be advised that you can make money even without Partnership!

First, you can put a tip jar in your channel panel description and make money that way. The easiest way is to download the StreamElements Extension (Twitch, Dashboard, Extensions) and it will walk you through the steps including adding a tip jar!

Second, you can also gain Affiliation, which is very doable. As long as you have 50 followers and have an average 3 concurrent viewers over 7 broadcasts on separate days totaling 8 hours in a 30 day period (nag your family and friends to watch you), you can get your Affiliation.

With Affiliation, you get the Subscription button as well as being able to accept bits. With the tip jar that doesn't require any sacrifice, and reasonable sacrifice in obtaining Affiliation, why kill yourself over Partnership?

After recognizing this, at the conclusion of this second month period, I made my peace to not pursue Partnership at all! I found I'd rather have fun so I can be more genuine with my viewers instead of being burned out from the work entailed in gaining Partnership.

It's more rewarding to challenge myself to be a better streamer than work towards Partnership. In the meantime, after installing your Tip Jar, I recommend that you get Affiliation which may take sacrifices, but not nearly as much as getting Partnership, so you can get subscriptions and bits.

Conclusion: For all the reasons above, for me, Partnership is not worth it, but Streaming in of itself is invaluable. Rather, get your Tip Jar installed in your Channel Panel Description, and work toward Affiliation.

The How of Happiness Review

4 comments:

  1. Without trying to sound negative at all, I can personally attest that more popular streamers get many MANY more people through the door, and whilst you can argue that it's because they're popular and get more exposure from it, but I'd argue also they had to start somewhere just like you have. You're still pretty new to the whole streaming thing, and it shows when you compare to someone who's been in the business for 4 years.

    This is nothing to be worried or ashamed of, of course. At Mind, we've just gotten a new volunteer, about a month or so ago, 16 year old lass, lovely to work with, but she's slow. She is anxious packing and wrapping ornaments and pottery, and it takes her longer to do it. She is clumsy with clothes, and takes a while to tag and hang them. She's unfamiliar with the Till, and it takes her a while to operate it and fold everybodies clothes up.

    The point I'm making through, is that really doesn't matter, it's no big deal, everyone has a first day on the job. Just like you're still fairly new to the whole streaming thing, and won't have your head wrapped around every intricacy and nuance you might have to think about. It's still early days, and you shouldn't worry so much about the number's you're pulling in, rather learning what you can do better as a streamer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are superb points Cheesus, certainly. I think it should be about improving yourself as a streamer, but not worrying about doing all the other stuff that brings in viewers such as networking! You can literally network 24/7 as there are streamers streaming at all hours, and have no life, which is what was happening to me.

    So I need to find balance. Right now I'm focusing on being able to negotiate chat, which is getting harder and harder as I'm getting more messages. And then being able to play the game while doing so is a long-term goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becoming a good streamer requires you throwing yourself out there, and practicing the streaming thing day in and day out, just like any other skill. Being a successful streamer, is entirely networking, it's about who you know and meeting people. Things like developer/media game codes, raids, or even just welcoming newcomers to the stream is entirely about developing those connections with people, and whilst they are both crucial parts of the journey, they are very much different from one another. You can be great at one, but without the other, you'll crash and burn for one reason or another. Unable to make the viewers, or keep them.

      Delete
    2. totally agree, it's a lot of hard work. I think the addicting part of streaming is how you can always improve, and the challenge. Agree you need both practice and networking, both are very time consuming which is why streaming tends to be all-consuming! I'll just have to find how to strike a balance, b/c I don't need the fast growth, but at the same time doing enough to keep my loyal viewers, which is by being consistent and improving with streaming.

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...