Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Preventing Burn-Out From Blogging and Streaming

I thought about this topic because I've been burned out from blogging. Indeed, I've thought about quitting, finding it difficult to do my Monday Musings, even though it's only weekly. Indeed, I have posted late on a few occasions.

One of the main reasons to quit is that it gets demoralizing when my posts don't get a lot of hits. I also feel that I'll have minimal guilt if I quit, since I don't have the fandom of other blogs, including my friend's Sweet Freedom, which tends to get thousands of hits per post. The thinking is that if I quit, I wouldn't really let anyone down.

The same concept goes with Twitch streaming. Since it's fun and easy to set up through consoles (both Playstation 4 and Xbox One have automatic Twitch streaming), the competition is overwhelming as there are millions of streamers out there. When you first stream, you will get zero viewers, and maybe 1 or 2 after a month.

This is rather disheartening especially as it's difficult to get a subscription button unless you have 75 regular viewers, so it'll take a long time before you can monetize your stream. Even as you get a subscription button, your viewers may not subscribe, leading to further demoralization.

I believe what revitalized my blogging endeavors is talking to one of my BFFs as he was interested in starting a blog, and we talked about our favorite video games. He was very appreciative that I recommended to him, Horizon: Zero Dawn, as it has become his favorite game. He mentioned that he was very impressed with my blog and video game advice.

My best friend's admiration and encouragement spurred me on to edit some of my past posts, and while doing so, I've renewed my love and interest in blogging. Although the mission statement of this blog is to celebrate video games and to advocate for consumers in a non-biased way (to combat the predatory, biased gaming media), I noticed that while editing, it was also cathartic.

Expressing my feelings, thoughts and ideas for this blog was refreshing and invigorating, and sometimes self-indulgent. I reviewed my Monster Hunter:World builds posts, which are rather specialized and over the top, and I think I wrote them mostly for me to remember my builds for the future, lol. That is, except for the fail-proof build as I wanted to help newcomers negotiate MH:W, preventing frustration, that can lead to quitting this masterpiece of a game.

I also appreciate the comments readers have shared on this blog, as they were very incisive, passionate, and knowledgeable of the video game genre. The cliche that authors use (as it's hard to become a commercially successful writer) is that if you have just one person who enjoys your work, you're a success. I find this not only true, but wise.

Nights of Azure: Critically Unsuccessful But Brilliant
Indeed, how many times have I played a video game that I loved so much, despite negative reviews such as  the absolutely brilliant Eternal Sonata and Nights of Azure (albeit I think both games have a cult following).

So even the least popular games are worthy as long as someone derives happiness from it!

I think the first step in preventing burn-out is truly analyze if you love doing what you do, and that you're not just in it for the money.

Next, it's crucial to have no expectations in terms of monetization. If you'll never make a cent from your endeavours, would you still continue your blog or stream channel? If your answer is no, then you may burn out given the fierce competitive nature of blogging and streaming.

Given the number of people in the world, if you're persistent and consistent with your blogging or streaming endeavors, you'll surely gain at least one loyal follower. It's very important to be consistent though, as your followers may lose interest if you're not regular, given this fast-paced world. That's why I self-enforced my Monday Musings, ensuring I'll have at least one post out per week.


Wonderfalls: Victim of Schedule Changes
Indeed, the first rule of having a successful stream is to set specific times on your Stream so that your followers will always know when to watch. People are creatures of habits, and I can imagine quite a few looking forward to your Stream, say Mondays after work, as a special treat.

I tbink that's why one of my favorite television shows, Wonderfalls, which had an initial small cult following, didn't do well because the networks kept changing its time slot, not giving it a chance to gain more viewership.

I'm very grateful to be able to post and express my burn-out. This specific post will serve as a reminder to not quit, no matter how burned out I feel!

Have you ever been burned out in your endeavors, and if you were able to overcome it, what helped?

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...