Monday, July 30, 2018

How to Cheese the Twitch Affiliate! (Monday Musings 55)

Update: I got the Affiliate, and perhaps b/c I filed the online tax forms around 10 PM, the button didn't show up until the next morning, so there may be processing lag. But that proves to me that you can get your sub button in 7 to 8 days!

I've decided to start streaming last week as I finally got the courage to do so thanks to delinquentMuse's Twitch community. My Twitch channel is FuzzyJCats (shameless advertising).

I was surprised as to how easy it is to get the Twitch Affiliate, which is possible in just 7 days. Once you make Affliate, you get a subscription button. You'll have to meet these criteria within a 30-day period:
  1. Reach 50 Followers
  2. Stream for 8 Hours
  3. Stream on 7 Different Days
  4. Average of 3 Viewers
Step One: Reach 50 Followers
Chances are, if you've been a Twitch user for years, you'll have at least 50 Followers. I have 50 already, but that's because I've been a member since 9-28-2014 (Twitch link checker).

If not, then the first thing you must do is to be a known presence in at least one Twitch community so you can ask the Streamer and members to follow you--that is in their Discord (I think some Streamers get upset if you ask them during the stream itself). If you let them know that you're trying to make Affiliate, they'll tend to follow you. If they absolutely refuse, then that's a red flag, and I'd avoid that community like the plague!

Here's my post of recommended Twitch communities who can get you started. delinquentMuse's members were integral to very gently pushing me into streaming so she's a great place to start. They're very kind and supportive, so though it was nerve wracking during my first stream, I settled down very quickly because it was exactly like talking to my best friends.

Step Two: Stream for 8 Hours
This is self explanatory. Again, this must be done within a 30-day period.

Step Three: Stream on 7 Different Days
What I'd recommend here is if you want to get your Affiliate as quickly as possible, if you can, stream 7 days in a row. Make sure that all of those 7 days will coincide during the days and times that you'll stream if you have a set schedule. Let's say that you stream Mondays after work, so make sure that one of those 7 days occur on a Monday after work.

Make sure you stream for at least 1 hour, as that's the length of time that's considered to be a broadcast. I noticed this achievement popping up when I broadcasted around 30 to 45 minutes, so to be safe, make it an hour.

Step Four: Average of 3 Viewers
Here I would ask your family, friends and Twitch communities to watch you. If it's during their work hours, and they have access to computer and internet at work, they can go to your Twitch channel, mute the sound and click to another internet tab (this will count as a view).

They can do the same with their smartphones if they don't have access to internet at work. But if they're going to watch you on their smartphones, make sure your family and friends have unlimited internet minutes,so they won't incur any outrageous charges.

Your viewers can certainly be AFK (Away From Keyboard), but they'll still be counted as viewers! I'm sure you can find at least 3 loved ones who'll agree to watch or "watch" (lol) you.

In case something happens, and they can't watch, this is where your Twitch communities come to the rescue. Your Twitch community may have a Discord Channel that you should join. 

In their Discord, a lot of streamers have a stream_share channel where you can alert the community when you're about to stream. Members tend to visit your stream when you announce your stream time.

And there you have it! You've just made Affiliate and earned yourself a Subscription button!

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...