Sunday, September 17, 2017

The House of God, Major Nelson, Xbox Elite Paddles (Monday Musings 10)

The House of God by Samuel Shem
I was thinking about this book since I wrote about my challenge of healthy habits, since The House of God pinpoints how toxic and unhealthy medical residency is. As I was interested in going to medical school, and it was common knowledge that this book is what you should read to get a sense of what residency training is like, I read it in college.

Going to a cushy and academically undemanding university, I was in a wonderful place in my life. So, after reading a few pages of the book, I was appalled and thought to myself that if I ever think of my patients like this, I would quit being a doctor. Looking back, I kind of chuckle at my sanctimonious attitude.

During internship, I decided to pick up the book again, and it made me sick to my stomach, because it's exactly what I was going through, and in fact, I felt that at some points, Dr. Shem UNDER-stated how awful medical training is. I didn't need the reminders, so I quit reading soon after.

However, after completing residency and with my career established, I read the book, and it was one of the funniest books I've ever read, since I was no longer at that terrible place in my life. I was able to read the entire novel and the book rings so true.

One part that sticks out is where the protagonist, on call yet again and sleep deprived, had to see a patient in the ER, and told the patient that he will give him $20 if he leaves, which he does, lmfao. This is how we all have felt, that we'd be glad to pay to not see patients and get some needed sleep.

If you ever consider going to medical school, I agree with the common knowledge that you must read this book to see if this career is for you before undergoing such a career.

Major Nelson--I'm Fan Girling!
Since I recently found out that Major Nelson (Larry Hyrb) just had a daughter, I remember that he friended me awhile ago, so I checked on his status to see if he posted any updates. I didn't think anything of it at that time, since I assumed he accepts all friend requests as a major XBox executive, for positive PR reasons.

So I was surprised and taken aback that although he has over 3 million followers, he only friended 85! This is hitting the jackpot! Yes, I'm posting this to brag, lol. But seriously, what are the chances that he friends a goofy name tag of Fat Nyams?

Let's just say that I'm never getting rid of my Fat Nyams account!

Getting Used to the XBox Elite Paddles--A Guide
Now realizing that paddles are the way to go, it's still a struggle, but it's actually intuitive. I'm writing a way in which you can get used to the paddles by following the mnemonics below, and of course, I'm sure after practicing for a few months, it will be just as automatic as the old face button way. It was frustrating at first, but it really is a better way to play games then the old way, so don't quit and stick with it!

Obviously, don't do any PvP or COOP when getting used to the paddles, and practice on safe single player games first.

I'm using the Playstation convention since I was using this particular scheme while playing Final Fantasy XII on the PS4.

Default face button controls on the Elite are: X is the left upper paddle, ◯ is the right upper paddle. The intuitive part of this scheme is that the face button X is to the left, and the ◯ is to the right on DS4 controllers, same with the paddles. Further, X and ◯ are the most used buttons, so it makes sense that they are on the top.

The hard part is the ⃞ and △. We're used to △ being at the top, but it's programmed to the right bottom paddle. The ⃞ is the left bottom paddle. However, it can be intuitive because, if you notice with the face buttons,  ⃞ is to the left of △, and same with the paddles, where again, paddle, ⃞ paddle is also to the left of . These bottom paddles will take a long time for me to get used to, though.

I hate using the L3 and R3 analog stick clicks, it's so awkward, so I programmed L3 to original face button X and the R3 to when I was playing Final Fantasy XII. That was very intuitive for me since X is on the left, and right, just like the analog sticks. I'll have to see if I can get by with this new scheme while playing Dark Souls 3, since  I originally programmed the X button to R3 click.

Again, using the mnemonic that the most common face buttons are on the top, and then the less used button on the bottom does help. But at this point, I have to think it through since it's not automatic. In fact, I feel like how I was when I first restarted gaming.

I really love practicing and honing skills, so I wished that Playstation or XBox, to help new gamers get used to using face buttons and so forth, will have a simple game of pure QTEs where the face button will turn green if it's correct, and red to let you know it's wrong. Kind of like along the same concept as those learn how to type software. If you know of any software that does that, please let me know!

The How of Happiness Review

6 comments:

  1. A while ago, this was before Dark Souls 2 released, I was playing some Dark Souls 1 PvP in the forest. Matched up with this lad, not bad, but I beat him pretty handedly at first. Sent him my GG's through Xbox messaging, we started talking a little as he asked for a few tips and pointers, we made friends. This lad is now married to one of the oldest and biggest names in online entertainment, https://www.youtube.com/user/PressHeartToContinue , he introduced us one time in a little group chat, I can't remember what we were playing but Dodger joined in on the voice comms, she's a nice lady. That's my famous friend story!

    It didn't take me very long to get used to the back paddle's, but I put that down to me using different peripherals for different games anyway. new and funky control scheme's kinda come with the PC naturally, it's just something you get used to. Some games you control with mouse clicks, some games you use WASD on the keyboard, some games you use a controller, because it's a lot less static you never truly settle to specifics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a wonderful story. I'm sheepish to admit that I've not heard of PressHeartToContinue, but that's mostly because I'm not well-versed in the anime scene. I'm 100% sure that if I were, I would definitely know about Dodger. And yes, you can tell from watching just a few seconds of her videos that she's very nice! Such an awesome way to meet someone famous, Cheesus! I hope you're still in contact with Dodger and her husband.

      Definitely with practice, I'll get used to the paddles, it's almost automatic when I'm playing DS3, even when I changed the lock-on button from the X button to the circle button. I would give myself a couple of months before it becomes automatic, and it's very worth it to stick with the paddles rather than caving in and going back to the face-buttons. You really have more control over the camera and the characters' movements using the paddle method!

      Delete
  2. HOUSE OF GOD is one of my wife's favorite books. I successfully used its "buff and turf" philosophy during my stint in corporate America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jerry and welcome to the blog! Do you mean buff and turfing difficult clients to other businesses? It's interesting to see techniques used in medicine, being applied in other sectors!

      Delete
    2. Difficult people, yes. but more often impossible and/or irrelevant tasks -- all made to look pretty and then turfed to other departments.

      Delete
    3. that sounds reasonable and very understandable. I don't see it as unethical like using buff and turf in House of God!

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...