Friday, September 1, 2017

XIM 4 In-Depth Review

XIM 4
I promised to post XIM 4 instructions on how to get your favorite controller working on your console of choosing (except for Wii U as this console is not supported). However, it's so intuitive and easy to follow that it's not necessary. Just make sure you install the firmware update and the XIM manager, and then program your controllers, as the XIM 4 does not work out of the box.

However, if you're still having difficulties, please post a comment below, and I will indeed write out step-by-step instructions for you. I thought instructions were warranted because XIM 4's competitor, Cronus Max, was rather difficult to program for the PS4 (given PS4 need to authenticate the controller every 10 minutes, or the controller will shut off) and to map the buttons to correspond to the un-conventional DS4 controller's buttons. Fortunately, the XIM 4 was a breeze to install, so I didn't feel the need to write instructions.

However, I don't know if keyboard and mouse installation is easy. Further, this review is admittedly limited since I'm reviewing only in the perspective of cross-controller support. On the other hand, many users have noted no lag with K&M.

XIM 4 is approximately the size of a deck of cards. It's indeed "plastic-y" but not so flimsy that it will fall off your cabinet/stand like a Roku, most likely because it's covered in a rubbery material and has good traction. I must say, it's rather "cute" in appearance.  Also included is a rather excellent quality micro-USB to connect your XIM 4 to your console, as it is a thick-braided cord (much like the Xbox Elite's), and not enclosed by the usual flimsy rubbery covering.

I find the plastic/rubbery and cute appearance irrelevant as the point is how the XIM 4 performs, and it does so beautifully with absolutely no lag (being wired) with my strenuous testing of Xbox Elite controller with the PS4, going through Dark Souls 3 NG+7 to now NG+10 (or am I at 11?). Further, unlike the Cronus Max, it does NOT get hot even after hours and hours of continuous game-play. Further, it has never disconnected, or the character moving despite no input (like the Cronus Max). It works perfectly, second after second.

I also enjoy the fact that you can program colors through the XIM Manager software, and I programmed mine to flash Yellow. Other colors are Blue, Green, and Red. I'm sure it makes more sense to use Blue for Playstation consoles, and Green for XBox consoles, but I like the Yellow color better than the Blue. Green is also a nicer color than the tired Blue and Red, so I use Green for my Xbox 360.

At any rate, I feel the need to mention that one of the many problems with the DS4 is the touchpad, as a new, unwanted feature.  Further, the DS4 share button is where the back button should be.  As a result, the touchpad press is instead the Back button, defying the usual standard conventions. In other words, it's harder to map a normal controller to the DS4, as it's not a straight 1:1 correspondence.

XIM 4 has the advantage of being able to use the DS4 touchpad and your choice of controller at the same time. Therefore, the rare times that I need to use the share button or touchpad left press/right press and touchpad movement itself, just use the DS4.  The XIM 4 manager already default programs the Xbox Elite's Menu button to the Start Button, and its View button to the Touchpad press (which serves as the Back button) in the usual intuitive, conventional and standardized manner.

The Cronus Max does NOT allow for DS4 being used concurrently with your preferred controller, so it's significantly clumsier than the XIM 4 approach. So, the times that I want to share pictures, I have to unplug the Cronus Max, turn on the DS4 controller, and use the share button. Then connecting the Cronus Max again to resume game-play which is a nuisance.

I hope this review demonstrates that if you only use controllers, the XIM 4 is the best and only choice, in terms of build quality (NO overheating), ease of use, and perfect 1:1 input with no lag or wrong inputs, which are the problems of the Cronus Max, which I tolerated only because I hate the DS4 so much.

Since the XIM 4 works perfectly on the most difficult console and controller, namely the PS4 and its DS4 controller, it will work perfectly with last-gen consoles and the XBox One. I programmed the XBox Elite Controller for the XBox 360 and PS3, and it worked perfectly when I tested it out, though I haven't played hours and hours like I did with the PS4. But the reality, anything that works for the PS4, will work for the other consoles given the difficult and unconventional nature of the PS4 console and controller.

If I ever understand FPS and decide to use keyboard and mouse (that is on games that allow for K&M use in PvP, though I would certainly use it in single-player campaigns), I will post more information on how well XIM 4 works for K&M configurations.

As of now, XIM 4 is so appreciated, and a dream come true!

The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...