Monday, August 6, 2018

Streaming Experience Was Good for my Health! (Monday Musings 56)

After a little over 1 week of streaming on Twitch, the experience has been quite interesting. I'm not streaming for a career, rather for fun (my Twitch channel: Shameless advertising here).

But even so, I felt the need to do my best. I think a lot of people think that streaming is just pressing the broadcast button, playing a game and leave it at that. 

But to do your best at streaming, it's incredibly difficult and actually felt like work, albeit fun and challenging work as it involves so much effort!

The first day was an eye opener. I decided to introduce 1 element of streaming at a time, so I dusted off my old Blue Yeti microphone (I meant to stream years ago) and plugged it into the Playstation 4 USB port.

I decided to stream Monster Hunter: World since I played over 1000 hours of the game (the re-playability is through the roof!), and so I thought I can play the game on auto-mode, and then be able to read and talk to chat.  

Boy was I wrong! The multi-tasking involved in fighting against even an easy monster (Pukei-Pukei), discussing what you're doing, and replying to and reading chat took so much concentration that I was mentally exhausted after 4 hours!

In fact, I often had to NOT engage in gaming because it was difficult to read and talk at the same time as playing the game, so there was a lot of down-time in gameplay. The challenges of streaming like this was harder than when I beat Dark Souls 2 No Death run.

Due to the sheer amount of effort to maintain all this focus, I decided to do aerobic exercise (Stairmaster) for 15 minutes, weight training at Planet Fitness, drinking more fruit and vegetable smoothies (easier to drink than snarfing down), and getting 8 hours of sleep.

I also ended up playing video games only when I'm streaming, except when I practiced against the new monster, Behemoth, so that I can be on auto-pilot while streaming.

In other words, the irony is that streaming (for fun, not for career) has helped improve my health! 

Conclusion: Streaming isn't "just playing a video game", but rather challenging and rewarding work!

The How of Happiness Review

2 comments:

  1. Hiya Alice. It really was great to see you streaming and taking forwards the awesome vibe from the Craddoc era, TaraHype. I must say that you are very good at chat interaction, maybe a little too good at times in fact, luckily we aren't there for the game play Keepo. The main thing is too have fun and you certainly seemed to be enjoying yourself immensely, which gives your chat such a happy friendly and welcoming feel. Keep up the great work Alice, and thanks for the strim PogChamp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks so much Hilly_ I appreciate all of your support, and hope you'll stream as well--so you can also carry the TaraHype banner of the great Craddoc era!

      You encouraged me so much to stream, and I must also say that you're SO good at chat interaction BUT you game as well, which is something I aspire to! Hopefully there'll be gameplay in my streams in the future lol.

      I hope streaming continues to be fun for me, for many years to come. I hope I never burn-out b/c it's people like you that makes streaming so rewarding and enriching! I shall return to your comments if I ever get burned out and tired from streaming, as inspiration to continue the work of TaraHype!

      Love you, Alice

      Delete

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...