Thursday, August 23, 2018

Monthly Progress Report For My Twitch Channel FuzzyJCats, July 25 to August 24, 2018

This is the first of a Monthly Series of My Twitch Channel FuzzyJCats Progress Reports 

First month, July 25 to August 24, 2018
Through the support of delinquentMuse’s loving community, after all these years (I became a Twitch member October 2014), I mustered up the courage to stream. My first broadcast was Wed, July 25. I used the speedrun strats that I featured in my blog, and officially won all the trophies on the 7th day, but paperwork at late hour led to sub button on the 8th day.

My original streaming intent was to improve my diction: improving articulation, avoid swearing and using fillers words such as “um” and “like”. I wanted to follow my oculoplastic surgeon’s perfect enunciation and diction, Dr. Roberta Gausus, of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. (In foresight, I wished I asked her permission to video record her speech).

However, I quickly realized two things. First, how much mental focus and concentration it took to do so. Second, I was surprised at how fun streaming was.

Because of the exhausting mental preparation that is streaming, which took more mental energy than accomplishing a no death Dark Souls 2 run, I started exercising, eating more fruits and vegetables, and significantly improved sleep schedule.

I quickly became addicted and obsessed with streaming, so I decided to buy PS4 Facecam and eventually added Facecam when I got less anxious about streaming.

I found that reviewing your VoDs is crucial, and the most obvious thing that I noticed is how “flat” I am when there was no one chatting. And how excited, thrilled and overjoyed I got when I would see someone chat and interact. What this proved to me is the importance of my viewers above all else. I want to challenge myself to improve content and presence to make my stream the best possible since my viewers deserve that effort.

Even so, I noticed that my ego got in the way, as I recognized that I want partnership. So, the challenge for me next month is to stop worrying about numbers, and rather enjoy the fun and process of streaming, and just being with my beloved viewers. Thankfully, I have practiced meditation spottily over the years, so I can use some of these principles to focus and hone in on making my viewers feel valued and welcome.

Through admitting my ambitious nature, this will help ground me. Through acknowledging my competitive nature, I hope this will allow me to be more cognizant of NOT having ambition drive the streams. Rather, I want to focus on interacting better with chat (I miss a lot of conversational threads), appreciating my viewers more, and incorporating more gameplay as I often stop gameplay to chat instead. 

The overarching goals are to continue to show appreciation toward my viewers, “perfect” talking to chat to the point where I don’t miss chat conversational threads, and THEN focus on gameplay.

I need to work on pacing myself energy-wise as I notice I get drained near the end of stream. I didn’t realize, but I actually stopped stream before 5 PM on August 22! (edit: actually, Twitch dashboard analytics now said I stopped after 5 PM). 

Improvements made over the month:
Overall, improvements made were with technical issues.
  • Having Microphone stand for better voice audio
  • Having Facecam with Chromakey screen
  • Thanks to smotpoker887: Put post-its to cover viewer/message numbers, this cut down on tortured expression when I notice viewer numbers are “low”
  • Working on Channel description page
  • Thought about mission and values of the channel--love of gaming, health so we can support each other in affiliation/partnership
  • Contacted AWA for permission to support, received logo
  • Watching Stream Key podcasts which inspired me to make improvements
  • 100 Proof Gaming category on channel
  • Working on delinquentMuse team names
Will work on (aside from the overarching goals):
  • Being able to talk with energy and enthusiasm when there’s no chat, instead of having tortured expression on face.
    • Continue to prep topics before stream.
    • Stamina management, eventually I would like to stream more hours, but 4 hours is now the max limit.
    • Be more consistent with exercise. I’ve been doing 13 mins stepmill except for two times before I stream, but will need to incorporate strength training more consistently.
    • Be more consistent with going to bed at the same time. At least I’m getting 8 hours, but it throws me off if it’s not the same sleep/wake time!
  • Not sure how to manage being itchy and sniffling--been using Claritin and NetiPot. I don’t want to resort to Flonase given that I’m already on steroid inhaler (i.e. it’s best to avoid as much steroids as possible).
  • Breathing management due to asthma. Improving with steroid inhaler and aerobic exercise but not in “perfect” condition yet.
The How of Happiness Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles: A Comparison (Monday Musings 80)

ADDENDUM 5/15/21 After extensively puzzling with all three companies, Artifact, Liberty and Wentworth, I found Artifact to be, hands-down, t...